Tuesday 19 February 2008

2007_03_01_archive



How to survive in Turkey: Telecom issues

I have not made entries for over three weeks. I have given you a taste

of Turkish (Telecom) culture.

I have not in fact had Internet access at home since Friday, 9th

March. This was due to an unpaid phone bill, which I was trying to

settle first. So apparently a guy from T�rk Telekom came on Friday 9th

March and decided to cut the phone cable leading to our apartment.

I went and paid the unpaid bill during the same day. I was told it

might take up to three days for the phone line to open again. I

waited. A week. Nothing happened. I called and I was told to wait

more. Nothing still happened.

I contacted my landlord. They called and were told to wait. Nothing

still happened. A friend of mine called T�rk Telekom but it was

useless - he was just forwarded from one person to another.

I went to the main office of T�rk Telekom in Gayrettepe to find out

what the problem is. They were able to confirm that the line had been

disconnected. However, they refused to reconnect the phone line unless

the person who had originally ordered it would contact them. This is

Cagan, my ex-flatmates Nikolia's ex-flatmate.

I contacted my landlord who contacted Cagan and who called T�rk

Telekom. They did not even ask for her name. Instead they wanted to

know the phone number, which she did not remember anymore as she had

not lived in the appartment for half a year. She called again the

following day to schedule a time to have someone reinstall the phone

line. They said someone would come on Tuesday morning.

I waited all morning on Tuesday. Nobody came. My landlord contacted

T�rk Telekom again. Nobody wanted to take responsability, instead he

was forwarded from one person to another. The last information I have

is that Cagan had the plan of making an angry phone call yesterday to

try to speed up things but so far I have not heard whether it was

succesful or not.

In the meanwhile, TTNet, an affiliate of T�rk Telekom sent us a 37,5

Turkish lira invoice for Internet, which we have not had for three

weeks in March. When we inquired about this, we were told we still

have to pay bill because although T�rk Telekom and TTNet are

affiliates, they are still separate entities. The Internet requires

the phone line to work and if T�rk Telekom had not disconnected the

phone line TTNet's Internet would have worked, so they claimed not to

be liable for refunding the price of the Internet.

Our landlord has helped a lot trying to solve the problem. "Welcome to

Turkey", they tried to console us.

Posted by Aleksi at 16:21 1 comments

Monday, March 5, 2007

Survival in Istanbul: Dining and tea

If you appear to be a yabanci, a foreigner, people will always think

you are one. Even if you somehow speak the language.

I went yesterday for dinner to a buffet place in Taksim. We walked in

with my new flatmate Aleksiina. I had some beef stew kind of thing and

Aleksiina had some chicken. The food was good and there was plenty of

it.

"�ay i�er misiniz?' The waiter comes once we are finished. I ask for a

tea. It is free anyway, I figure.

The guy brings the tea and asks for 1,50 liras for the tea. I get

pissed off. I tell the guy off in Turkish and tell him I'm not a

tourist. Generally, the tea is free if you eat dinner in the place.

The manager comes when he hears the noise. I tell him what happened.

He says the guy just started working here. He takes him around the

corner and tells him off.

A minute later the manager himself brings both of us a cup of tea and

apologizes once more. The waiter is carrying heavy stuff and walking

front and back.

If you speak Turkish, usually the people think you only learned a few

separate phrases but cannot really understand the language.

Posted by Aleksi at 04:59 1 comments

Thursday, March 1, 2007

Pizza delivery guy refused to work

I was surprised a few days ago. It was around 11pm and I tried to

order a pizza through yemeksepeti.com, a wonderful food delivery

system on the Internet. I chose all the fillings, sat down and waited

for the delivery.

The phone rang. "Domino's at Gayrettepe has refused to complete the

order due to security problems in your neighbourhood at this late

time."

I was surprised. I live in G�lbag, which is by no standards a rich

neighbourhood. I cannot see it as an exceptionally dangerous

neighborhood. More sort of a normal surrounding where the lower-middle

class and working class people live.

Especially the roads around where I live are well lit. The place is

also only three minutes away from the big shopping mall Profilo. The

mainstreet of G�lbag has shops and restaurants open around the clock.

I personally feel myself watching more over my shoulder around the

streets of Cihangir or Galata than over here. These are located right

next to Taksim, the new downtown and tend to gather some obscure crowd


No comments:

eXTReMe Tracker