Sunday 24 February 2008

flags blowing chi town winds in



Flags blowing - Chi-town winds in Istanbul

danggggggggg......the wind was blowing hard! Today seemed like

hurricane winds or something. Ok, i'm exaggerating a bit, but being

located on the 6th floor of an apartment, the wind was howling.

Turkish flags with Ataturk whipped the air. I thought my roomie's flag

would fly away, but it stood strong.

Before coming to Turkey, I always presumed that the Americans were the

most patriotic. Car stickers, USA flags on houses, companies like

OldNavy incorporating flags in shirts, american flags are everywhere.

But since my stay in Turkey, I am starting to second guess this. I

have seen many flags attached to ppl's windows. I've even seen ppl

using the Turkish flag for the phone's background. And I've never seen

so many flags strung up on a string and hanging across highways.

The economist noted that there exist a surge in nationalism in Turkey

in March (article)

Now, in the eye of war, it appears that Turkish ppl are uniting more


No comments:

eXTReMe Tracker