Tuesday 19 February 2008

bus ride from istanbul to izmir



The otogar (bus station, the name of which is a homophone of French)

is immense, with multiple dozens of companies selling tickets to go

all over Turkey. There are more than 150 ticket offices in this

ultra-modern circular structure, with some of the companies having

multiple offices. They maintain different offices for certain

destinations. So if you want to go with Company X to Ankara, you would

buy your ticket in a different office than if you want to go to Izmir.

Yesterday I came here to get my ticket, even though I was near a part

of town that had a smaller ticket office for Izmir tickets. I was

having problems being understood, though, and it was a funny story,

though frustrating.

The core of the problem was that the bus company I wanted was called

Metro ("COACH OFF THE YEAR 2005"). When I asked people for the Metro

bus company ticket office, they thought I wanted to buy a ticket to

get on the metro, which is not what I wanted, but I could not make

myself clear about that.

Once I got to the ticket office, I found out that a bus to Bergama,

the destination I wanted, took eleven hours, even though it is 110

kilometers closer to Istanbul than Izmir. Why is that? Nobody's

English was good enough to explain, but it was consistent with the

information that was printed in my guidebook.

The Turkish word for "man" is "bay." "Woman" is "bayan." This is

especially helpful while deciding which toilet to go to. When the

employee at the ticket counter was getting ready to write my ticket,

he told me that he needed my surname. I gave it to him. The ticket was

written out in the name of "BAY DAVIDSON." I confirmed this later on

and found that in this case, "bay" means "Mr."

The bus stations and buses here are immaculate and ultramodern. The

stations put Greyhound stations to shame. As for the buses themselves,

the only thing we have that compare in the USA are private tour buses.

At 9:20 I got on the bus, seated in front of two local women speaking

in a local language. They immediately lapsed into whispering, as if I

could understand what they were saying!

We left promptly at 9:30, as scheduled, and snaked our way along back

roads and a highway. I had learned that it would take some ten hours

to make the journey of 575 kilometers. Traffic on the Istanbul

highways was very slow going, which made me wonder how much we would

be delayed for our arrival in Izmir. Why else it would take so long

was something that I would find out along the way.

Part of the answer came an hour later, when, still in Istanbul, we

reached the Uskudar bus station on the Asian side of the city, so that

we could pick up more passengers. There were then three more stops at

other stations. I had obviously boarded the local rather than the

express. Along this portion of the route, the refreshment service

began. Two nattily-dressed men in crisp white shirts, black ties, and

red vests served coffee, tea, and other light goodies.

For a nice break and opportunity to move around a bit, we then boarded

a ferry in order to cross the Sea of Marmara on its eastern extremity.

As far as I could tell, I was the only foreigner (or obvious-looking

foreigner) on board.

I had asked the ticket-seller if there would be a stop for lunch, and

he told me "four hours after," which I took to be somewhere around

1:30 PM. I was getting my stomach ready for the stop, and was

extremely (and pleasantly) surprised to see that we were pulling into

a bus station at 1:31. I guess that they factored the Istanbul traffic

into the schedule, as we seemed to be there according to plan.

The driver made an announcement, probably informing all the passengers

(except me) how long we were going to be stopping. I shrugged my

shoulders and gave a pad and pen to one of the servers, so that he

could write down how long we would be there. He wrote down "14.00,"

indicating we would leave at 2:00, which was plenty of time to get

some lunch.

Once again, the station was extremely modern, clean, and efficient,

with lots of choices for lunch. I found a place with lots of options.

As I was asking about the meatless ingredients, a Turkish man came

over to interrupt the proceedings, telling me in excellent English

that he lived in London. He made a few suggestions, and I got a

spinach dish, beans, and yogurt. Everything was delicious.

When I had eaten my meal and went to the cashier to pay, the Turkish

Londoner once again appeared, telling me that he wanted to be sure

that I was charged properly for the meal. Seeing the price at 9.5 YTL

(new Turkish lira, a little more than $8), he assured me that I was

not overcharged.

I got back to the bus at 2:00 exactly, only to find that there were a

few agitated bus employees waiting for me. I showed them that my watch

said 2:00, whereby one of them showed me the display on his cell

phone: 14:06. He said, "My friend, you are late." But when I got on

board, I could see that the bus's digital clock itself said 14:00.

We were barely were riding for an hour and a half when we stopped for

yet another rest break. This time it was not a bus station, but a huge

building with food concessions, toilets, and the like. Toilets seem

never to be free here, unless you are within the confines of a

restaurant. Otherwise, in places like this, you pay anywhere from .50

to 1 YTL, which is from forty to eighty cents, depending on the

location. Outside of Istanbul, more of them are of the .50 YTL

variety.

It was raining as we approached the building. A stand outside the main

entrance featured a fountain that the employee turned on as the bus

disgorged and the passengers approached. The fountain was spewing what

looked like milk, but was very foamy. Not having the Turkish

vocabulary to ask what it was, I simply posed the question in English.

In response, the man at the booth replied, "This is ayran, delicious

and famous."

I asked if it was milk. He said no, that it was "yogurt and water."

This rest stop lasted twenty minutes, and then we were off again. Now,

the driver turned on the two monitors that the bus had: one above his

seat and one near the rear door. First up was a commercial for Academi

Istanbul. From what I could see, it is some sort of trade school.

Subtitles showed the kinds of courses one could take there, most of

which were based in the arts. Somebody had a good time putting this

together, and most assuredly took advantage of the fact that most of

the Turkish public would not understand the English lyrics of the song

being played on the soundtrack, as the singers belted out lyrics that

included the words "the biggest asshole."

The movie was American, dubbed into Turkish: "Employee of the Year,"

which was a sophomoric "comedy." I concentrated on the scenery, which

comprised mostly of undulating hills, crops (lots of olive trees), and

towns that looked fairly up-to-date with lots of newish buildings. We

passed an outlet mall with more than thirty shops, but only a handful

of cars. It was 4:14 when we passed a sign telling us that Izmir was

still 200 kilometers away.

At 4:30 we had yet another rest stop, this time at a bus station. It

was to be our last rest stop. We arrived in Izmir at 7:31 PM, just

about the time predicted by the man who sold me the ticket.

The otogar is six or so kilometers outside of town, and the bus

companies provide a shuttle service to the center. I had settled on a

hotel as listed in the guidebook, but couldn't find it, so chose

another, just to be able to take the pack off my back and be

horizontal for a bit.

But lying down did not last long, as I had a new city to explore for a


No comments:

eXTReMe Tracker